There are many factors that determine what goes into a spam folder - and it's not the same for everyone. Some spam is filtered by your email provider where other spam is filtered by your email client or anti-virus program. In any case, spam filters attempt to keep your inbox clean and keep you safe - but it can be problematic when you need to get your message through.
Here are a few common spam filter triggers to avoid to increase your chances of avoiding the spam folder:
- All caps in subject lines (and elsewhere within the message)
- Exclamation marks in the title or message
- Excessive punctuation
- Spammy words or phrases (buy now, sale, Viagra, etc)
- No physical address or phone number in what seems to be an email from a business
- No unsubscribe option in email marketing campaigns